Updated: Feb 20
Self-development is evolution towards the ultimate ideal of oneself.
In this article, we've curated a list of the best quotes for personal growth to ignite some inspiration along your journey.
1. "What we think, we become" - Buddha
A perfect summary of Eastern philosophy summed up by one of the most famous humans to ever live; Buddha.
It is the quintessential notion of personal growth that our thoughts dictate our actions, and our actions dictate our destiny.
2. "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Nelson Mandela
This quote by Nelson Mandela is a reminder that failure is a natural part of the self-development process. It's important to not let failure defeat you, but rather to use it as a learning opportunity to rise again and continue on your journey.
Take it from a man who has risen more than most would even try.
3. "Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own" -Bruce Lee
Bruce Lee is known for his eloquent philosophical speech which compliments his ferocious martial art excellence.
This quote summarises personal growth perfectly. Take the good, remove the rest, become more.
4. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ” -Mark Twain
Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile.
Mark Twain poetically reminds of us our morality while simultaneously inspires us to make the most of our lives. Take the leap and build your wings on the way down!
5. "The best way to predict your future is to create it." -Abraham Lincoln
This quote by Abraham Lincoln is a reminder that you are in control of your own destiny and that you can shape your future through your actions and decisions.
Take responsibility for your future and become the master of your fate.
6. "Believe you can and you're halfway there" -Theodore Roosevelt
This quote by Theodore Roosevelt is a reminder that having faith in yourself is half the battle.
Believing in yourself and your abilities is a crucial step in achieving your goals and realizing your full potential.
7. "The true measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of convenience and comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy," -Martin Luther King, Jr.
This quote reminds us that it is easy to talk a good game... we might love to talk about personal growth when things are going well.
It is who we are when life's inevitable trials come our way, is the true measure of the person we actually are, not claim to be.
8. "Your time is limited, don't waste it living someone else's life" -Steve Jobs
Too often we try to become what other's expect us to be. We become shadows of ourselves because we are scared of our light.
That light is unique and there is only one being in the Universe capable of shining it; you.
Don't join the crowd, follow your heart and share your unique gifts into this world so desperately in need of it.
9. "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom" -Viktor Frankl
Our instinctive nature is perhaps the biggest thing that gets us in trouble the most.
But it is vital to remember that we are more than our biological nature. We have the power to centre ourselves in every moment and consciously choose to respond, not react.
10. "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" -Will Durant
Most of self-development is built upon the idea that repetition is the mother of mastery.
We are creatures of habit that can either ascend to greatness or descend to hell. By choosing to act in the highest ideal of ourselves, we will eventually become it.
11. "A leader leads by example, not by force" -Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu wrote the Art of War and is known for his military expertise and strategies, but has also given us relics of the past in the form of philosophical lessons.
A true leader embodies the truth he speaks. Others follow because of inspiration and trust, not force and fear.
Conclusion: The path of self improvement & personal development
Personal growth is a lifelong journey that requires a growth mindset, discipline, dedication and guidance.
These 11 quotes show us that we are capable of so much more than we think and that change is always possible.
They remind us to focus on the present, to take risks, and to believe in ourselves. They encourage us to live in the moment, to be resilient, and to be true to ourselves. And they make us believe that the journey is worth it and that the end result is a happier, more fulfilling life.
This article was written to provide some inspiration and motivation on your personal growth journey and give some friendly reminders along the way. Keep these quotes handy and come back to them whenever you need a little push.
Remember, you can achieve anything you set your mind to.